knitnana: Black Friday...
Please stop by my Etsy Shop if you're looking for Nana Sadie's Attic Treasures items!

Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday...

I have to admit that I find this day of mad shopping an appalling way to spend one's time, but I usually do make a foray out to the fringes of our mega mall each year. This year was no different.

The only remaining chain fabric store is near this mega mall, but thankfully you don't actually have to get INTO the mall to get there. I needed to go, mostly because of gift requests from my grandsons' - not what you'd expect from Nana Sadie Rose, huh?

I was very lucky, for while the store was mobbed, and the lines to check out took 45 minutes, everyone was relatively patient and in good spirits. I don't understand why anyone would endanger another in the "spirit of Christmas" but since people lost their lives today, in the interest of shopping, I suppose I should consider myself lucky.

It really does boil down to making the decision ahead of time to treating everyone as you'd like to be treated, behaving like a reasonable and responsible person instead of behaving as if you're vying for the last scrap of food on the table and there will never be anymore - after all, folks, it IS just stuff and really has such a limited value...is it worth the taking of a life? Bah!

My heart this season, will be filled with prayers for the families of those who lost their lives today - shopping.

And those who have lost their lives in the past few days at the hands of terrorists in India, will be there, too.

How odd to see the two disparate scenes on the news...and realize that such violence can exist at opposite sides of the globe for such astoundingly different reasons.

But the commonality is violence.

This is the season of peace and love. I hope we'll all carry that with us over these next weeks and into the new year.

Ok. I'll get down off my soapbox.

I did do a bit of shopping, as I said. In conversation yesterday with my Big Sis, I discovered that I've truly spoiled her rotten. No other socks will do now. (I kind of knew this was going to happen! *wink*) And the socks she wanted? JUST like the ones I made last - My Berroco Sox. I hoped that our new LYS - Yarn Explosion - might have another ball of it, and they were having a sale today. So since it's only about a block from the fabric store, I was out the door about 10:00 this morning (not as early as many of you, I know). Sure enough, I was able to get a ball of the same colorway and then because I liked the socks I made so much? I bought another ball of this:
What do you know? That's a little bit of knitting - ok...really it's stash enhancement. Except sock yarn isn't stash...Still I didn't think I'd be telling or showing much in the knitting department till after the holidays! Aren't those colors gorgeous? Can't wait to knit them up. But Big Sis's socks come first.

And tonight, I finished the second Christmas gift I was knitting on...but I can't tell you what it was...visit me on Ravelry to find out!

After my shopping trip, I came home and made these:

A Metro Blue Stripe Mera and an English Library Kerri. Both are orders, what do you think?

On another note, in previous years, I've sent gifts from Heiffer International in the names of friends and family, but this year, I'm going to do something different. We have a small non-denominational program staffed by several churches and synagogues here in the valley that house homeless families. I think this year, a contribution to them and one to our food pantry will be my "gifts."

With the difficult economy, and so many doing without, I'm trying harder to shop locally, and also to contribute locally. The shopping part is hard to do with my business, but personally, I can choose to buy here. In our community, we also have a very large shelter that most are likely to contribute to, thinking, I'm sure, that this is the organization that is most in need. Yesterday, there was a mass group run to raise money and they made quite a bit considering there were approximately 4800 people running! As large as this shelter is, as organized as it is, it gets the bulk of contributions from the rest of the valley's residents.

This smaller group does amazing things without a large facility and paid staff. Sometimes, I think, a small group of people with heart can make even more of a difference in people's lives...And that's the sort of group I prefer to support.

Just my two cents worth, tonight. I think I'll go light a candle now...

6 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

For every dollar you give the food bank they can turn it in to $9.00. That's impressive and well worth doing. Your bags are so beautiful and they just get better and better.

8:41 AM  
Blogger sandra said...

I was one of those folks running Thanksgiving morning - what a great experience and a wonderful organization. I like your idea of keeping contributions local - I will do that as well. You are a such a kind person...

10:04 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I love all of the thoughts you're sharing here. I, too, was utterly appalled by the stories about shopping madness yesterday. I can't understand it in the least. I went to my LYS (they were having a sale) and got yarn for Christmas presents. Then I spent the day at the beach with friends. I love your idea of sticking to local contributions -- thanks for the inspiration!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't even thought of the juxtaposition of the terror in India and the mob killing at a mall. Scary how quickly we can turn on each other. The shopping mauling just staggers the imagination, but then again, I loathe both shopping and crowds.

On a much lighter note - your English Library Kerri is fabulous! But I believe you've misspelled the name......;)

1:59 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

Your bags always are beautiful. Always.

I'm going to look into contributing locally, as well as internationally. If we don't help across the world, who will?

Blessings -

2:33 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

A very thoughtful post, Sallee. Always a difficult choice to make when you're not flush but still want to help. At least your heart is in the right place, IMO.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Namaste

I honor the place in you,

which is of love, truth, light, and peace.

When you are centered in that place in you,

and I am centered in that place in me,

we are one.

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Member #1782

Image hosted by photobucket.com
image hosted by photobucket.com
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
Hosted by Photobucket.com
hosted by photobucket.com
Photobucket
Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by photobucket.com
Because it's so true
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Backstitches
Yarn Explosion
Fiber Space
Orchardside
Wool Workshop

Twist Collective
Knitty

Fancies

The Haggahdah of Knitting

<Photobucket
Not that I'm addicted or anything...!

Photobucket
Summer 2009

Photobucket
If you buy books, buy from Independent Booksellers

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com

Black Symphony Socks
Train Travel Socks
Faux Mink Mobius
Yoga Socks
Trust Your Instincts Socks
Toast Toasts!
Blue Leftovers Toasties!
Black Hat for Charity
Pastel Jacquard Socks

Briar Rose Gracie Faroese Shawl
Purple Royale Clapotis
Violette Lilith Shrug
Helsinki Hat Scarf

Summer Garden White Granny Afghan

Image Hosted by Photobucket.com
We will never forget.

The WebRing Listing for Knitnana's blog can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page-If you have a WebRing, you might consider resizing your buttons to keep them small enough so blog sidebars don't skew to the bottom of the page!
Thank you!